Thursday, October 13, 2022

"Toyohashi Natural History Museum, Zoo, Botanical Garden, and Amusement Park, Oh My!"

In my limited experience in Japan, it seems fairly common for different areas to have their own zoo, botanical garden, and possibly an amusement park. In Toyohashi where the Pokémon fossil exhibit was, the set up includes all three of the aforementioned features, plus a natural history museum, all in one place. So many things to see! I took A LOT of pictures! 


These were metal, made by an artist. 


Love the curvature of the tail.  


There were Pokémon signs in various places around the fossil part of the museum. 




I thought this was really cool.  It was as tall as the room, which was quite tall!





Horses!









I loved playing with tiny snails as a kid.  I thought this was neat!

















Just outside of the museum.  The dinosaur was giving us the thumbs up.



Nocturnal animals.







Airplane ears!


These were so cute and fast.  Check out the video below! It includes these guys zooming about and the bats we saw. 






Meerkats! My mom loves these guys. I got a cute video of the lookout, but I am not seeing it in my backed up photos. 😑









The monkey on the right was grooming the one on the left.  I thought it was so funny when it lifted its arm so the grooming one could check its pit!

I love the details!












Look at that chewed on ball...

Beautiful bridge!




They had a cool owl forrest.  C loves owls.









Red pandas!



We laughed about this seagull being here.  I don't think I have ever seen one at a zoo before.  Saw them a lot as a kid.  My middle school had them all over the quad. I even got pooped on by one.  😝









When we got near the elephants, I remembered a Japanese song about elephants and sang a line to Philip.  Then this Japanese lady walked by singing it!!!







Capybaras. Giant rodents! They look like huge guinea pigs!


These are tanuki. Animal crossing players: this is what Tom Nook and Timmy and Tommy are. 


Spider Lilies.  I had never seen them before coming to Japan.  Look for my post of going to see the Spider Lilies after I catch up with all my Kyoto trip posts.  


This video is of the near the entrance and the amusement park area.  It was pretty deserted that day, even though it was a holiday, perhaps because it was during the typhoon.  The amusement park part wasn't even open, but no one cared if you were walking about that area.  


This is one saaaaaad looking Totoro!

I decided to have some fun!


Anpanman is a very famous superhero for little kids in Japan. I dressed C up as him for Halloween when he was a baby.


Thought this drinking fountain and faucet trio was interesting...


Philip played along with the fun!




Here start the pictures from the botanical garden.








There were paddle boat swans that weren't open.




I love the details in Japan that other places don't think to include, like different designs on the manhole covers.  These were all in the zoo: 

Pelicans

Hippo and baby

Zebra



It was a successful day! C fell asleep on the way home! 😂


It only rained a tiny bit, even with the typhoon.  This sign below can be seen on rainy days on that road.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple Japanese Cooking

One of my friends asked me to share easy Japanese cooking, so here it is! I have bought all of these in Asian markets in the States. They wi...