Friday, May 13, 2022

My Textbooks Have Arrived!

I knew my sensei was sending textbooks, but I wasn't expecting FIVE textbooks to come in the mail! My second lesson is tomorrow afternoon, so I will know more about how I will use these after that. 
The two on the left are to practice the basic writing systems, so definitely something I would expect. The picture below is hiragana and the following picture is katakana. 
My sensei made sure I had a CD player! Kind of amusing...
The inside of the textbook. It's a map of all the prefectures in Japan. We will be in the Nagoya area. We have been house hunting in the Aichi prefecture, which is 23 on this map. I'll post more on house hunting soon.
As I mentioned in my last post, I have studied Japanese before. It doesn't mean this textbook isn't intimidating. It's written using all three systems of writing, but the good news is there is furigana written above the kanji. I can't read a lot of kanji, so furigana is useful because it is a reading aid that is small hiragana written above the kanji that tells you how the kanji is pronounced.
One of the books is written mostly in English. I believe it is the companion book to make lessons more clear.
The last book is a workbook with things to fill in for each lesson. 

On a more personal note, today we just finished the second to the last week of school. This week was also standardized state testing for our district and we are packing up our classroom to move it for next year, so the walls are bare and stark white. It's kind of depressing. There was also a toilet that overflowed yesterday in a staff bathroom and flooded the main hallway of the school. Oh, what a week it has been! It's starting to feel more real that I am leaving this place. Things are coming to a close in this chapter of my life and it's bittersweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple Japanese Cooking

One of my friends asked me to share easy Japanese cooking, so here it is! I have bought all of these in Asian markets in the States. They wi...