Sunday, March 27, 2022

Veterinary Prep for Export

Exporting an animal from the United States to Japan is a lengthy six month process. For the most accurate information, here is a link to a usda page about it: USDA Animal and Plant Inspection Service

Japan has strict laws to prevent an animal with rabies from entering the country. They must be:
✔️vaccinated for rabies
✔️have microchip identification 
✔️take a blood test that checks for levels of rabies antibodies
✔️quarantine for 180 days, which is six months (quarantine in this case, is really just a six month waiting period)
✔️inform the Japanese import office at least 40 days before arrival in Japan
✔️get a health certificate for each animal prior to export

Our cats were microchipped by the cat rescue we adopted them from. Last week I took our cats to a local veterinarian for their titer test. Hopefully the levels of antibodies for rabies will be high enough (they were vaccinated in December). If they are we are now on day 4 of their quarantine. 

As I mentioned in my prior post, Diamond is a scardey cat. After I open up both carriers so he couldn't hide in them, he hid here.
Here is Ralph. He is a bit more easy going about a lot if things...
...except for when he heard a dog bark in the lobby and hid behind me!



In total, we were at the vet nearly two hours! There was a lot of waiting, but at least we were in a room. They drew their blood individually and they each were gone 10-15 minutes, maybe more! 

We should hear in 4-6 weeks about their test results. Hopefully all is well and we'll be 4-6 weeks into the 180 days! 

I saw this on the veterinarian's wall. It's a good reminder for me, especially since we have busy days ahead of decluttering and packing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple Japanese Cooking

One of my friends asked me to share easy Japanese cooking, so here it is! I have bought all of these in Asian markets in the States. They wi...